Day 7 – Your 5 favourite songs
In which language? Which genre? That’s way too hard a question!
Okay, 5 favourite songs (that I can think of right now) in my top 4 languages:
- Save My Soul – Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
- Here’s to us – Halestorm
- Only God Knows Why – Kid Rock
- Every You, Every Me – Placebo
- In The End – Linkin Park
- Grande Amore – Il Volo
- Ti Scatterò una foto – Tiziano Ferro
- Aspettando Meteoriti – Linea 77
- La Solitudine – Laura Pausini
- Roma-Bangkok – Baby K feat. Giusy Ferreri
- Porque te vas – Jeanette
- Bailando – Enrique
- Echáme la culpa – Luis Fonsi & Demi Lovato
- Despacito – Luis Fonsi feat. Daddy Yankee
- Estás – Nina Pilots
- Je t’aime moi non plus – Serge Gainsbourg ft. Jane Birkin
- Prótège Moi – Placebo
- Chanson D’Amour – Nana Mouskouri
- Non, je ne regrette rien – Edith Piaf
- Je ne veux pas travailler – Pink Martini
This selection is just a tiny glimpse into my favourite songs… the list goes on forever.
Day 6 – What are you afraid of?
Death, electricity, failure (and bananas – we’ve covered this).
(Apologies for missing day 5 yesterday. Here it is, I’ll follow up with day 6 in a while.)
Day 5 – Your Proudest Moment
I suppose I have a lot of proud moments to choose from and logically it should probably be something like when I finally got accepted into uni or when I graduated. However, my true proudest moment was on November 20th 2003, the day before my fifteenth birthday. I barely slept at all during the night and got up at 5am turning the radio on quietly to listen out for the competition they were running. That was the day that Linkin Park would play in Scotland for the first time ever and the radio competition was to win backstage passes and tickets to the concert that night.
And I won! I had the phone pre-dialled, bar the final number, and slammed my finger down on that last digit as soon as they told us to call in. Producer John took my details and told me to hold while they found an (un)worthy opponent to play against. The premise of the competition was to listen to the first three seconds of a linkin park song (thankfully they only had three albums at that point) and be the first person to shout in with the right answer. Aside from the fact that I was fangirl supreme and nailing the questions, my opponent hadn’t truly understood the rules, but even with the DJs reminding him, he couldn’t beat me. I won fair and square.
Then I had to get ready for school and sit my computing prelim.
Best night of my teenage life. Can’t believe it was 15 years ago!
Day 4 – Your Dream Job
This is a difficult one. Realistically my dream job is not one job but being able to be creative in multiple pursuits AND being paid for it.
The list is long: being a writer, editor, tutor, teacher, crocheter, student, actor… and so on. To work within the creative industries and getting to do many different things is the dream.
Maybe one day!
Your favourite quote.
My favourite quote is from Maggie Stiefvater when someone on twitter asked her how she is so good at so many things. I screenshot it to keep it for inspiration.
She’s right, it’s always about consistency and practice, less about talent which can wane if not consistently applied.
I try to follow this advice because I have many different random interests that individually require a lot of attention and practice… I’m not great at it, but practice makes perfect!
Day 2 – 20 facts about you
- I’m proudly Scottish and European. I love my country and showing it off to visitors.
- I’m a language addict. English is my native language, Italian is my best second language. I can cope in Spanish (reading’s fine, and mostly listening – it’s the speaking I have trouble with) and I can get by in French. I’m constantly trying to self-teach Dutch and Greek. I’ve also studied Latin and Swedish.
- I’m afraid of death, electricity, and bananas.
- Zombies. Can’t wait.
- I’m a Bruce Campbell uber-fan. Hercules, Xena, Evil Dead, Burn Notice… don’t get me started!
- I love Batman, but I’m a Nolan purist. Nothing can beat Christian Bale as the Dark Knight. I have no time for Fatfleck.
- Sharks, bumblebees, dogs (especially Pitties) are my favourite animals (fight me!) And llamas/alpacas… pigs and goats. Love them all. Except cats, jellyfish, starfish, most marine species.
- Apparently I don’t look my age. My age causes shock.
- I’m left-handed.
- My hair is naturally “dirty-fair” so is neither blonde nor brown enough to look nice and is a weird flat grey colour. I’ve been dying my hair since I was 13.
- I haven’t learned to drive… yet.
- I waste hours looking at Studyblrs and studyspo on tumblr… when I have my own studying to be doing.
- I have an MA in Hispanic Studies, a post-graduate Certificate in Humanities, I’m in my second year of an MA in Creative Writing, and I’m starting a C.Ed in Italian.
- I’m a writer – but a lazy one. Trying to hold myself to my own deadlines gets more fruitless as the years go on. So I’m studying CW to have something else hold me accountable.
- Pretty much everything I know about American Culture comes from TV and books: Sesame Street, Gilmore Girls, the West Wing… And the OC and Sweet Valley. I cried when I went to high school and we didn’t have lockers.
- We went camping a lot when I was a kid. I used to have an obsession with the outdoor water taps. Still do.
- I’ve met famous people. Austin St. John who played Jason in the original Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers. I was taken onstage with the Singing Kettle and performed in the opening song for the show. I won backstage passes to meet Linkin Park. I shook hands with Willie Nelson and his sister after their show. I briefly met Sandi Thom when she was punting her album in Borders, Jodi Picoult when she was punting her book in Borders, Dave Gorman but he was punting his book in Waterstones and there was a heckler. I met Story of The Year after their show. Kitty and Steve from Mindless Self Indulgence. Bullet for my Valentine. Nice Peter from Epic Rap Battles of History. Maggie Stiefvater when she did a talk in the Mitchell then stayed to sign everyone’s books! Oh, and Jared Leto and the guys from 30 Seconds to Mars… not a great story.
- I love to Crochet, it helps to relax me.
- I’m a Classical History nerd. I wrote my dissertation on the Roman Conquest of Hispania. I’m dying to visit Carthage in Tunisia and Cartagena in Spain!
- My diet is Veganish. I haven’t eaten dairy for a while now and every few months my body decides to reject another food type so I’m on a stripped back diet. I identify as Veganish because sometimes it’s too hard to explain what no-dairy means to people who aren’t sure what dairy even is. Thus, the vegan option is the safe option. I still eat beef and turkey and some fish but not constantly as I love quick easy meals without worrying about meat going off.
You survived it! Gold star for you!